The Lewis Martin Court family is recruiting!
Hello Cardiff! We’re Lewis Martin Court and if you don’t know about us - you really should!
We support around 15 young adults with disabilities helping them to live a life they love. We don’t just care for the individuals we support, we care about them.
We love to get out and about, from going to football, day trips, special events, nights out, bowling - you’ve probably seen us having a laugh in some corner of this city!
Our vibe is family. We want the best for each other, that includes staff - and we want to see each other succeed. As a team we’ve won awards and the people we support have even received recognition from the Queen! There’s no end to what we achieve here.
So come and find a job to love with us. It’s an opportunity of a lifetime and one you’ll never forget.
Salutem Healthcare are committed to ensuring that the individuals who use our services receive great enabling support from a team of highly trained and engaged staff in environments that are homely and comfortable. We are innovative, solution focused and committed to doing the best we possibly can.
To be responsible to the Shift Nurse for the day to day care, support and activities provided to individuals. Ensuring the smooth running of the services and the allocation and management of support staff. The role requires that you primarily work in a support capacity for XX% of your working hours. supernumerary hours will consist of a maximum of XX% of the role.
To take responsibility by working with your Shift Nurse, Senior Nurse, Deputy Manager and Registered Manager for ensuring the effective and efficient provision of care and support to the people living within Salutem’s service.
The overall objective is to increase their social development and life skills to enable them to live as independent adults in the wider community. You must ensure that the services are developed and delivered in consideration to an individual’s racial, culture/religious origins, language, gender, sexual orientation and disability.
- To be responsible for supervising the day-to-day management of the support workers whilst working alongside them, providing support to staff and the people we support to ensure that the service runs safely and effectively. To keep the Shift Nurse appraised of all issues, concerns and developments.
- To undertake duties with respect to the individual needs of the people we support, both leading and working as part of a team and to oversee or assume a caseload of individuals for individual key working. To be responsible for ensuring the necessary support is given to the people we support and to attend the relevant meetings/reviews, both in representing the organisation and in support of Support Workers.
- To continually update, and liaise with, the relevant interested parties and encourage and support the people who use our services to gain independent living skills.
- To lead the shift in the absence of the Shift Nurse.
- To prioritise the general workload and to delegate tasks to support staff members.
- To attend management meetings.
- To oversee responsibility for all petty cash systems within the service.
- To take responsibility for ensuring the relevant communication systems are completed daily. (i.e. contact sheets, hours worked file, cleaning and laundry schedules, safer food better business procedures, updating relevant professionals etc.)
- To be able to manage situations, which present challenge, both physically and emotionally. To both seek and give support to colleagues in such circumstances.
- To work alongside, support and supervise staff on a day-to-day basis to meet the needs of the service.
- To be a role model for more junior members of staff.
- To undertake training to facilitate own professional development and enhance skills.
- To be proactive in the transition and admission of the people we support into their new home, ensuring as far as possible that they are made to feel welcome, and to offer practical support during the settling in period. To facilitate transitional periods and appropriate moving on support for all individuals.
- To empower the people, we support to play as full a role as is possible in taking control of their own lives for them to achieve independence.
- To ensure that ongoing written recordings of all contact with individuals is maintained to a good standard and to record any other areas of concern. To ensure confidentiality in record keeping is maintained.
- To ensure social workers and other external agencies actively involved with the people we support are fully informed of developments and consult with them during periods of change. To liaise with field social workers when additional support is necessary.
- To develop or secure appropriate life skills, educational, preparation for work and social training to prepare individuals for an independent life as possible. To uphold the ethos of empowering people to play as full a role as is feasible in taking control of their own lives for them to achieve independence.
- To have regard for the health and welfare of the people we support.
- To maintain links with individual’s families, friends and support networks.
- To produce a written supervision records on each of the people you support as a key worker on a monthly basis.
- To be responsible for effectively managing workloads, including assisting staff with time management.
- To be individually accountable for standards of professional practice.
- To accept regular supervision from your Manager and attend staff meetings as required.
- To adhere to statutory requirements and Salutem’s policies and procedures in relation to professional and administrative matters.
- To understand and promote the company’s Health and Safety Policy.
- To understand and promote the company’s Managing Diversity Policy.
- To undertake any other related duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of the post.
Individual Outcome and Well Being
- Through robust leadership linking with your Shift Nurse, Senior Nurse, Deputy Manager and Registered Manager, ensure that each individual we support has a meaningful support plan which Is detailed, person centred and specific.
- Ensures a proactive approach to the management of risks
- Encourages individuals to establish and maintain relationships, with friends and families who they chose to have a friendship and relationship with as little or as often as they choose. New friendships should be encouraged
- Acknowledges and promotes diversity and is free from discrimination
- Meets the legal requirements of the Health and Social Care Wales act, and any mainframe contract held with the commissioning body.
- Supports and enables the people we support to have robust health action plans, outcome and are supported to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This should include supporting the individual with health appointments etc. as required and the ability to benefit from regular exercise
- Where there are complex needs and behaviours that may challenge there is a clear plan based on functional evidence and that the staff team understand this plan
- That there is a robust activity plan in place for each individual which identifies opportunities for development, training, education, employment, volunteering etc.
- That try’s new experiences- and gives people autonomy and control over the things they want to do and try that is flexible, and can be changed
- That the views of the individual are routinely sought through regular engagement with the individual by completing regular key-worker meeting
- That where appropriate and we are supporting individual’s with finances ensuring that they are supported to budget and plan their finances (through a support plan)
- That people are supported with their medication through being supported and encourage to self-administer medication, using Salutem Policy and Procedures ensures individual’s are supported to have regular medication reviews with a pharmacist/Nurse as required
- That embodies the Mental Capacity act and its key principles, with the team clearly able to articulate them
- That the individual’s are kept safe, and where possible free from harm. Where harm does occur that this is reported in line with the local safeguarding procedure, and in line with the regulator
Accommodation and Environment
Through linking with your Shift Nurse, Senior Nurse, Deputy Manager and Registered Manager ensure that Health and Safety polices, and procedures are followed, which in include Fire Safety and that there is a robust environmental risk assessment in place.
The environment is tailored to the needs of the individuals, and accessible.
Infection control measures are carried out in line with Salutem policy and procedure.
Food hygiene standards are maintained in accordance with Environmental Health Regulations
Laundry procedures are adhered to in line with Salutem’s laundry policy and procedure.
Leadership of a Team and Service
Through working with your Shift Nurse, Senior Nurse, Deputy Manager and Registered Manager, ensure that you have a team safely recruited to enable the smooth delivery of hours, and to ensure that there are measures in place for the team to have:
- Robust Induction using Salutem induction process and delivery of the AWIF
- Frequent and meaningful person-centered supervision of support workers to ensure they are supported. This will also involve the use of coaching the team to attend all required mandatory training, and additional specialist training as required. This should be clearly evidenced using Your Hippo(E-learning platform)
- Person centred schedules, that meet the commissioned hours of support delivery and the wishes/needs of the people we support
- Robust personal development plans, to ensure we get the best out of our people, and that we retain, and succession plan where required.
- Regular team meetings
- That you ensure the service is delivering an outstanding level of Care and Support through
- Identifying opportunities to be better, to deliver better care and support and to be innovative
- Adhering to the use of Salutem Quality Assurance framework, systems and policies and procedures
- Work in a way that embodies our core values
- That where incidents and accident occur in the service, that these are reported and managed in line with our polices and procedure.
This job description should not be seen as all encompassing, and the post holder will be expected to undertake any other responsibilities appropriate to the post as identified by the company.